British authorities say they Won’t start a criminal investigation into the journalist Martin Bashir within his 1995 interview with Princess Diana
LONDON — British authorities said Thursday they won’t start a criminal investigation into the journalist Martin Bashir within his 1995 interview with Princess Diana.
The Metropolitan Police force stated”no additional action will be taken” over allegations Bashir utilized illegal subterfuge to find the interview.
Charles Spencer, has alleged that Bashir used false documents, such as bogus bank statements, and other unethical strategies to convince Diana to agree on the meeting.
Police Commander Alex Murray said detectives had”carefully checked” the allegations and sought guidance from attorneys.
“After this in depth assessment and in light of the information we received, we’ve decided it is not appropriate to start a criminal investigation into these allegations,” he explained. “No additional action will be taken.
“In this particular matter, as in almost any other, if any substantial new evidence come to light we’ll check it,” he added.
The BBC has started its own investigation, headed by a retired judge, to the circumstances surrounding this app.
The meeting, where Diana famously stated”that there were three people in this union” — speaking to Prince Charles’ relationship with Camilla Parker-Bowles –has been viewed by tens of thousands of individuals and sent shockwaves throughout the monarchy.
Diana divorced from Charles in 1996 and died in a Paris car crash in 1997 because she had been chased by paparazzi.