In Shanghai, after almost two months of hard corona lockdowns, some public transport has resumed operations. Four of the 20 subway lines and some bus lines in the Chinese metropolis with its 25 million inhabitants should be running again from Sunday, according to the authorities. Passengers therefore need a negative corona test and must have a “normal” body temperature.

With the number of infections falling, the Shanghai authorities had begun to gradually lift the tough restrictions on the population. In some parts of the city, factories and businesses have reopened and curfews have been lifted. Locally, however, there were also tightenings. The central district of Jing’an was completely sealed off again on Sunday, the authorities said.

Self-government, telematics, Morbi-RSA: The briefing on health

The entire population is to be tested for the virus in three rounds. In the meantime, people are not allowed to leave their homes. “Exit permits’ that have been issued will be suspended,” Jing’an authorities said on Saturday. But they assured that “victory is not far away”.

China had imposed rigorous restrictions from the beginning of the pandemic and was thus able to keep the number of infections at a relatively low level by international comparison for a long time. With the advent of the omicron variant, however, there were large outbreaks. The center was initially Shanghai, after which the city was rigorously sealed off at the beginning of April. According to the government, Shanghai recorded three new Covid 19 deaths within 24 hours on Sunday.

This increased the number of reported deaths in China to 5,222. In addition, there were 898 new infections in China within 24 hours. That is 313 fewer cases than the day before, when 1211 new infections were reported.

In other Chinese cities, public life was further restricted. In Beijing, for example, there is an order to work from home. On Saturday, thousands of people were taken to quarantine centers in the capital despite negative corona tests. More than 13,000 residents of the Nanxinyuan settlement in the southeast of the Chinese capital had to leave their homes on Saturday night, according to photos and a statement from the government authorities that were distributed on online networks. They were therefore driven to quarantine centers in buses.

The reason for the measure was therefore 26 new infections found. Authorities in Beijing’s Chaoyang District announced Friday that quarantine would be imposed on all residents of Nanxinyuan for seven days from “midnight on May 21.” It also said: “Please cooperate. Otherwise, you will bear the legal consequences.”