National coach Martina Voss-Tecklenburg has criticized UEFA’s handling of players who tested positive for the corona virus at the European Football Championship. The 54-year-old is particularly upset that subsequent nominations are not possible in such cases. “I really want to use the moment now to put my finger in the wound. We asked UEFA beforehand to consider taking 26 players with us. That has not been guaranteed, although the men can do it at the World Cup,” said Voss-Tecklenburg on Monday evening.
The DFB women will have to do without Lea Schüller in the second group game against title candidate Spain on Tuesday (9 p.m. CEST/ARD and DAZN) at the Brentford Community Stadium. The goalscorer from FC Bayern Munich had tested positive for the virus and was isolated from the team.
In view of the pandemic situation, the German Football Association had already started an approach to the European Football Union last winter in order to obtain approval for a 26 instead of 23 squad at the European Championship – without success.
UEFA regulations do not allow late nominations after the first game during the tournament. Exceptions are goalkeepers. “That doesn’t correspond to my personal concept of fair play,” said Voss-Tecklenburg. “That contradicts me as an athlete and I ask UEFA to reconsider this for future tournaments.” There are also other teams with isolated corona cases at the European Championship.
The DFB women already had a case in preparation with captain Alexandra Popp. Voss-Tecklenburg described in detail how sensitive the German delegation was to corona measures. “We also know that like many other teams we don’t have an exclusive hotel. We know that we are in public areas and of course we knew that we can only maintain a bubble to a limited extent.”