(Montreal) Two Montreal-area community organizations that are under investigation by the RCMP for allegedly hosting Chinese government “secret police stations” say they are continuing to operate as normal.
These two organizations want to “rectify” assertions made last week by the federal Minister of Public Safety to a Commons committee. Marco Mendicino said the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has closed all so-called “secret police stations” in the country.
The RCMP says it is investigating alleged Chinese police stations in Montreal and Brossard, on the South Shore.
But the two alleged host organizations of these “police stations” – Chinese Family Service of Greater Montreal in Chinatown and Center Sino-Québec de la Rive-Sud in Brossard – say they don’t were not asked by the RCMP to close their doors.
They maintained in a joint statement last Friday that they had cooperated with the RCMP investigation, but were no longer in communication with the federal police.
They claim that their activities are proceeding normally, “although greatly limited by the reduction in subsidies” following the publication of the allegations.
These alleged “Chinese police stations” are described as overseas outposts that harass citizens on behalf of the Chinese Communist Party, but Beijing has denied the allegations.