Authorities assess the situation on Sunday morning after the large forest fire on the Saxon-Brandenburg state border in Gohrischheide and near Mühlberg (Elbe-Elster) as relaxed, writes the RBB. There are still 285 forces on site. The focus is on extinguishing residual embers. This work is expected to continue until Monday.
However, the work would be more difficult due to the high temperatures, reports the RBB. The major damage situation in the Mühlberg area continues. In view of the weather conditions, the Elbe-Elster district has not yet given the all-clear.
On the Saxon side, the fire brigade expects it to be in action until the end of the week. There is still a fire in the Gohrischheide, said head of operations Matthias Heydel on Sunday.
Brandenburg’s forest fire protection officer Raimund Engel spoke of a so-called “long-term situation” that lasted for several days. Engel told the rbb-Studio Cottbus on Sunday morning that it was still a matter of preventing new fires from arising from the many embers. In addition, the areas would be watered in a targeted manner to prevent the spread of flames.
The big forest fire on the Saxony-Brandenburg border was already under control on Saturday. “There are no longer open flames there,” reported a spokesman for the Lausitz regional control center on Saturday afternoon. On the Saxon side, the fire had not yet been completely extinguished. “We still have a fire in the core area in Gohrischheide, which is spreading slowly,” reported operations manager Matthias Heydel from the Zeithain fire department.
In the Gohrischheide on the Saxon side, in the middle of the nature reserve, the firefighters couldn’t get to the fire. The two to three hectare fire is monitored from the air. “We’ve got it under control for now,” said Heydel.
The emergency services’ plan is for the fire to slowly eat its way through the heath. At the edge, it is then expected by the emergency services with fire engines.
The wind forecasts are currently favorable for this project. A police helicopter is used for surveillance. Around 140 helpers are now deployed on the Saxon side.
The major fire broke out in Gohrischheide in Saxony on Thursday and spread to Mühlberg (Elbe-Elster) in Brandenburg on Friday. More than 800 hectares were at times in flames. In the meantime, two towns had been evacuated.
[More from the capital. More from the region. More about politics and society. And more useful for you. This is now available with Tagesspiegel Plus: Test it now for 30 days free of charge.]
A total of 800 hectares were affected by the forest fire, 350 of them on the Brandenburg side, said the spokesman for the Lausitz regional control center. In Brandenburg, 250 firefighters were still on duty on Saturday to track down embers. They were to be assisted by a federal police helicopter with a thermal imaging camera. Around 75 firefighters were on site in Saxony.
It is important to use the time window up to the higher temperatures expected for Sunday in order to eliminate as many danger spots as possible, said Norman Barth from the state fire brigade school. “It’s still smoking back there – that could mean open flames and flying sparks again tomorrow,” he explained on Saturday. This could quickly lead to wildfires again. “It cannot be ruled out that things will get tricky tomorrow.”
Brandenburg’s Interior Minister Michael Stübgen (CDU) also warned that the flames could flare up again. There is no longer an open fire, Stübgen said after visiting the technical operations center in Neuburxdorf (Elbe-Elster). “But the heat in the ground is still over 500 degrees and more, because the layer of humus is still smoldering and glowing here,” explained the minister. “And so the danger is not yet eliminated.”
Rainer Engel, a forest fire protection expert from Brandenburg, said the rain on Saturday night brought little relief. Rather, the fire simply burned out, especially on the arable land, when there was no more new food. “A 50-meter-wide protective strip was plowed along the fields to prevent the flames from spreading,” reported Engel. In addition, sprinkler systems would be set up at the edge of the fire area.
The forest fire protection experts were also concerned about the expected high temperatures of over 30 degrees on Sunday. “Then fires can flare up again at any time,” he said. On Saturday, the forest fire situation was comparatively low in all 14 districts due to the high humidity. Already on Monday, Engel expects the second highest warning level 4 nationwide. The risk of forest fires should also increase again in Saxony.
The major fire broke out on Thursday in the Gohrischer Heide area in Saxony and spread on Friday in the direction of Mühlberg (Elbe-Elster) in Brandenburg. More than 800 hectares were at times in flames. An interim evacuation of the local locations of Kröbeln and Kosilenzien in the city of Bad Liebenwerda was lifted again on Friday evening from 9 p.m.
On the Saxon side, the situation had eased a little earlier. There are no longer any large-scale flames and the fire is under control for the time being, said operations manager Matthias Heydel from the Zeithain fire brigade on Friday. “The worst is done for now.”
On Friday, the fire in the Gohrischheide area in Saxony had spread to Brandenburg over the course of the day, according to the district, due to the unfavorable wind conditions. In the afternoon, therefore, the major damage situation was declared, and Kosilenzien and Kröbeln were evacuated.
Around 800 hectares were at times in flames. There has never been a similarly large forest fire in the area, said the spokeswoman for the Zeithain fire department, Dorit Riedel. “We’ve never had anything like this here in recent years.”
The extinguishing work in Gohrischheide was made more difficult because some of the areas involved were munitions and the areas cannot be entered. “It’s an old military training ground. Emergency services who were on site reported that there were always small explosions,” said Riedel.
In the district of Elbe-Elster Brandenburg there was level 4 of the forest fire danger on Friday, especially in northern Brandenburg some districts were at the highest level 5. The second highest danger level also applied in the district of Meissen.
In Treuenbrietzen (Potsdam-Mittelmark district), the forest area has now been handed over to the private forest owners after the serious fire at the weekend. “You must now provide fire guards there and inform the fire brigades in the event of a fire,” said the district spokesman, Kai-Uwe Schwinzert, on Friday on request.
The nests of embers hidden in the forest floor near Beelitz (Potsdam-Mittelmark) had flared up again in the meantime, but could be extinguished and brought under control. “What we don’t need now is wind,” said Schwinzert. It could fan dangerous flames.
According to the information, two fire brigades were on duty in Beelitz during the night. Individual spots distributed over the forest area were affected. The fires were extinguished during the night, said Mayor Bernhard Knuth (independent). It is a “relaxed situation, but it requires some attention,” said Knuth.
The forest fire near Rheinsberg in the Ostprignitz-Ruppin district is also under control. However, a fire station has been set up on site in case a fire hazard should develop again, said a spokeswoman for the fire brigade.
The forest fire in the north of Brandenburg broke out on Thursday. According to the first information from the fire brigade, around five hectares of forest were on fire. The police spoke of two to three hectares.
In Rheinsberg in the district of Ostprignitz-Ruppin, the highest forest fire risk level 5 applies in addition to the district of Prignitz. The fire in the Schwanow district resulted in heavy smoke on Thursday.
Last weekend there were two forest fires in Treuenbrietzen and Beelitz (Potsdam-Mittelmark district) south of Berlin. Hundreds of firefighters, supported by Bundeswehr soldiers, were deployed. About 200 hectares were in flames at a time. Firefighters continue to monitor developments on site.