The Granby girl’s father will ask to be released on parole on Thursday, 15 months after being sentenced to prison for sequestering his child with duct tape.

The 33-year-old is currently serving a four-year prison sentence. Since he was detained after his arrest, six months were deducted from his sentence.

“It’s way too early,” the girl’s grandmother told La Presse on the eve of the hearing. “He made her suffer for four years. Let him serve his four years in prison. »

The father, who cannot be named in order to protect the identity of the victim’s little brother, had an appointment with the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) on February 24. At the last minute, he postponed the hearing.

Thursday, the commissioners responsible for studying the request will have the prison file of the detainee in hand, underlines the criminal lawyer Me Marie-Hélène Giroux. “The Commission will look at whether he has undergone therapy, if he has solved problems, if he recognizes his wrongs, if he demonstrates a desire to reintegrate well as a law-abiding citizen”, explains the lawyer in specifying however that she does not know the details of this specific file.

If released, the father may have to live temporarily in a halfway house and report on his family or financial situation. He will be prohibited from possessing a weapon and disturbing public order. “If he does not represent an unacceptable risk, we will promote his social reintegration and we will impose conditions on him to help him in his reintegration process, to protect his family and his victims,” ​​she adds.

The man pleaded guilty to forcible confinement in December 2021 and avoided a trial. He nevertheless admitted to having wrapped his seven-year-old daughter in adhesive tape on the night of April 28 to 29, 2019, and having immobilized her on the floor of her room to prevent her from fleeing through a window.

In the morning, the child’s mother-in-law added a dozen wraps of sticky tape around the body. She has always denied covering his nose and mouth during his trial. When he returned from work, the father took more than an hour to go to the bedside of his little girl, whom he found unconscious. The child was pronounced dead the next day at the hospital.

The martyred child’s stepmother was found guilty by a jury of premeditated murder and forcible confinement. She is serving a life sentence and will be eligible for parole after 13 years. She appealed her case.

The seven-year-old girl had been followed by social services since birth. His death led to the “Laurent Commission” on children’s rights and youth protection.