(Anaheim) Spectators attending the famous “Fantasmic!” from Disneyland had quite the shock this weekend when the famous animatronic dragon that spits fire at the end of the performance suddenly caught fire.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire that occurred Saturday evening at the Southern California amusement park, the Anaheim Fire Department said.
Ryan Laux, a regular visitor to Disneyland, recalled that the fire-breathing dragon has always been a part of “Fantasmic!” but he knew something was wrong when the flames didn’t spring from where they usually are.
“The dragon’s head started igniting instead of spitting fire,” noted Mr. Laux, who lives in Los Angeles and filmed the scene on Saturday.
The show was shut down almost immediately “and right after that the flames started spreading all over the dragon’s body,” he said in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday.
The show is performed twice a night near Disneyland’s famous Tom Sawyer Island. The highlight of the show is the clash between Mickey Mouse and the giant dragon.
The extent of the damage was not immediately known.