Investigators from the Quebec Ministry of Culture conducted several searches on Wednesday to shed light on the illegal demolition of a heritage building in Estérel that occurred last year.
The raids took place “at several locations in the greater Montreal area,” the ministry said in a statement. No details were provided.
The listed heritage building of the Domaine-de-l’Estérel shopping center was demolished in May 2022. Built in 1937 in the Art Deco style, it belonged to the real estate firm Olymbec.
The company had blamed the contractor who had been tasked with the – legal – demolition of another part of the building. The destruction of the heritage section was “accidental, unintentional and utterly deplorable,” Olymbe President Richard Stern said in a statement.
“The instructions to the contractor retained to carry out the demolition work of the rear part, in accordance with the permit obtained to settle the security issues, were more than clear,” he added. “We are appalled by this accident and intend to shed light on the chain of events and its causes. We are considering legal proceedings against this contractor. »
Investigators from the Ministry of Culture were assisted by members of the Sûreté du Québec.