(Montreal) A second body was extricated Tuesday from the rubble of the building ravaged by flames last week in Old Montreal.
The sad discovery was made by the technical rescue group of the Montreal Fire Department (SIM), which continued to search for the building “based on sketches of the building and information gathered”, said a spokesperson. of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM), late Tuesday afternoon.
The body was entrusted to the Laboratory of Forensic Sciences and Forensic Medicine (LSJML) which will attempt to identify it. Neither the age nor the sex of this victim are known at this time.
This is the second body to be extricated from the rubble after the discovery of a first Sunday. Five people are still missing.
Tuesday morning, the teams of responders indicated that they were unable to enter the heritage building ravaged by the flames last Thursday in Old Montreal because of the risk of collapse.
“Our goal today is to start manual searches in suitable places where investigators think they will find the missing people,” said Inspector David Shane of the SPVM.
The inspection of the building’s support structures using specialized cameras was carried out in the last day, said Martin Guilbault, division head of the Montreal Fire Safety Service (SSIM). “Due to the risk of collapse, we are not able to physically enter the building. »
Investigators will be transported into the building on pods. “Floors are stacked on top of each other. We face a scene of destruction,” David Shane described the interior of the building.
Géhane Kamel, permanent coroner in charge of the investigation, and Suzanne Marchand, senior director general of the Laboratory of Forensic Sciences and Forensic Medicine, were also present at the press briefing. At this point, no victim has been officially identified by authorities.