(Edmonton) A police source says a suspect who shot and killed two Edmonton police officers was 16 and also injured his mother.

Edmonton police said Thursday that two officers were shot and killed while responding to a family dispute at an apartment complex.

Police Chief Dale McFee said Constable Travis Jordan, 35, and Constable Brett Ryan, 30, were shot upon arriving at the scene and didn’t get a chance to use their weapons.

Chief McFee said other officers transported their two injured colleagues to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

According to Chief McFee, it appears the suspect died of self-inflicted injuries.

Police say a woman with a family connection to the suspect was also taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, and was in stable but serious condition.

A dozen police cars were parked around an apartment complex in northwest Edmonton on Thursday morning. A forensic unit truck was parked in front of one of the buildings and the area was cordoned off. The police also set up two command posts at the scene.

The Edmonton Police Commission has canceled a public meeting that was scheduled for Thursday.

Police departments in Calgary, Vancouver, Greater Toronto and Halifax expressed their condolences on Twitter.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also posted a message on Twitter. “Every day, police officers put themselves in harm’s way to protect the public. The deaths of two Edmonton Police officers remind us of this reality. I offer my condolences to the loved ones and colleagues of these agents — we are here for you. »

This is the first time in eight years that the Edmonton Police Service has mourned the death of an on-duty officer.

In 2015, Constable Daniel Woodall, a Hate Crimes Investigator, was using a “ram” to enter a residence when he was hit by multiple bullets fired through the door. One of his colleagues, Jason Harley, had been hit by a bullet that penetrated his body armor, but he survived.

Twenty-five years earlier, on June 25, 1990, agent Ezio Faraone had been shot and killed while responding to a call for an armed robbery.