Eight people were arrested and nine searches took place on Wednesday as part of an investigation to elucidate the shooting murder of an 18-year-old young man committed on March 19, in the Anjou sector.
No less than 175 police officers carried out this series of searches on Wednesday morning in four boroughs of Montreal. “The investigators are analyzing all the evidence and the people who were arrested are currently being questioned,” said Commander Jean-Sébastien Caron, head of the SPVM’s major crimes section at a press conference. Wednesday afternoon.
Khaled Mouloudj, who was on the sidewalk, had been hit by shots fired from a moving vehicle, shortly before 10 p.m., on avenue des Hérissons. The suspect(s) then quickly fled.
It was the sixth murder committed since the beginning of the year; the only one, for the moment, perpetrated with a firearm.
Everything indicates that the crime would have as a backdrop a conflict between members of street gangs, in particular a subgroup of the STL, present in the borough of Saint-Léonard. “The [suspects] are known to our service,” Commander Caron said, adding that the suspects are “definitely” linked to other gun violence events.
The arrested individuals, mainly aged 18, 19 and 20, also had in their possession equipment to steal vehicles. “There will be a parallel investigation into the theft of vehicles,” Commander Caron said.
Wednesday morning’s major operation is led by the Major Crimes Division of the Montreal Police Service (SPVM), with the help of the Sûreté du Québec and the Longueuil Agglomeration Police Service (SPAL). ).