According to the investigators, no Islamist motive has emerged so far after the shooting that left six injured in a regional train near Aachen. “So far we have nothing reliable for an Islamist motive for the crime,” said a spokeswoman for the public prosecutor’s office in Aachen on Friday evening of the German Press Agency.
However, there are indications that question the suspect’s criminal responsibility. That is why it is now being checked. Investigated because of an attempted homicide. It will be decided by this Saturday at the latest whether an arrest warrant will be issued against the man or whether he will be placed in a psychiatric ward.
The arrested is a 31-year-old man who was born in Iraq, his nationality is still unclear. Five people and the attacker were injured in the attack on Friday morning. In 2017, after a tip from the refugee home where he was staying, the man was classified as an “Islamism test case”.
The attacker stabbed passengers “indiscriminately and arbitrarily”, the victims and perpetrators had no relationship to each other, said NRW Interior Minister Herbert Reul (CDU) on Friday. The victims suffered lacerations, one a stab wound. Four travelers were taken to a hospital, their lives were not in danger.
It was “a cruel act that could be stopped in an act of enormous courage,” the minister said. Accordingly, the perpetrator of a 60-year-old federal police officer, who happened to be on the train, and with the help of two other passengers, managed to overpower the attacker. There were about 270 passengers on the train.