Four counts, including forcible confinement and assault with a weapon, were filed Wednesday against the man arrested after he smashed the window of a Montreal mosque and chased a young Muslim man earlier this week.
After initially being released on a promise to appear, Cory Sanderson, 32, was finally arrested a second time on Wednesday after information obtained as part of the police investigation into him led to the filing of news charges.
His behavior was described as “aggressive” by an officer present in the room from which he appeared by videoconference on Wednesday. Rarely, three special constables were present at his side in the small courtroom when he addressed his lawyer by screen.
He will ultimately remain detained until his suitability to appear is assessed. The Crown demanded on Wednesday that he be assessed within the next 24 hours by a psychosocial emergency worker, before returning to court on Thursday.
He was accused in the meantime of armed assault and kidnapping against Malik Koné. This young Muslim had told La Presse on Monday the hell he had experienced the evening of the attack, when he had met Cory Anderson before taking refuge in the mosque. “I was banging hard on the door and screaming for help. I was screaming to be heard,” he testified, still shaking.
Two counts of mischief were also filed against the man.
The Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) said after the incident that there was no indication of a hate crime at this stage of the investigation, although the faithful denounced an Islamophobic attack.
Despite everything, it was investigators from the SPVM’s Hate Incidents and Crimes Unit who carried out the investigation, since the event took place in a religious place.