After the violent crime at a school in Bremerhaven, the district court of Bremerhaven issued an arrest warrant against the 21-year-old suspect on Thursday evening. He is said to have entered a high school with a crossbow on Thursday morning and critically injured an employee there.
According to the police, the 21-year-old was arrested shortly after the attack near the scene of the crime. He was taken to the correctional facility. He is accused of attempted murder. The investigation is ongoing and the police are asking for any footage taken to be made available.
Investigators also seized a pistol and two knives. The public prosecutor’s office is investigating the suspect for attempted murder. The man has been silent about the fact so far.
Constien said investigators searched multiple properties around the suspect to gain insight into the motive. The relationship between the young man and the school and the victim has yet to be determined. The investigators assume a single perpetrator.
The man entered the school building around 9:15 a.m. on Thursday and seriously injured an older school worker. A short time later he was arrested near the scene of the crime.
At the time of the crime, around 140 students and teachers were in the school, said school head Michael Frost. Initially, it was said that 200 students were stuck in the building. The students of the affected Lloyd-Gymnasium (upper level) on Grazer Straße in Bremerhaven-Mitte initially stayed with their teachers in their classrooms after the crime.
The officials had previously called on the population to avoid Mayor Martin Donandt Square and the adjacent streets. Special forces searched the school.