After the failed Wimbledon dress rehearsal at the tennis tournament in Bad Homburg, Angelique Kerber herself didn’t know exactly how to proceed. “I don’t know when I’m flying yet,” answered the German number one when asked when she would be making her way to the classic lawn in London, which begins on Monday. “I haven’t got my head in London yet. Only when I travel to London will I realize that Wimbledon has started. At the moment my head is still here,” said the 34-year-old from Kiel, who also acts as tournament director in Bad Homburg.
After the surprising 4: 6, 6: 2, 1: 6 against Frenchwoman Alizé Cornet in the quarter-finals, Kerber travels to Wimbledon with the feeling of only three matches on grass this year, where she won in 2018 and reached the semi-finals last year advanced. The three-time Grand Slam tournament winner had decided not to start in Berlin, in Bad Homburg the defending champion failed much earlier than hoped. “Of course I wished that I would play to the end here,” said Kerber after her mixed performance against Cornet.