According to current planning, the trial of a suspected former SS guard in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp could end on June 2nd. The prosecutor will probably give his closing speech this Tuesday (May 17), said the presiding judge Udo Lechtermann on Monday in Brandenburg/Havel. The defense’s plea is scheduled for June 1st. He emphasized that this is only a preliminary plan. The trial began on October 7 last year.
The 101-year-old defendant was assessed on Monday by Jürgen Becker from the State Institute for Forensic Medicine as having limited capacity to stand trial – as before the illness – despite surviving corona disease and after operating on a foot ulcer.
According to the doctor treating the corona virus, the defendant was “impressively stable” for his old age, especially with regard to lung and heart function, said Becker. The foot hasn’t healed yet, but it’s on the right track.
Two cases of joint plaintiffs are no longer dealt with in the process. According to the presiding judge in Sachsenhausen, the father of the Dutch joint plaintiff Christoffel Heijer, a resistance fighter, was shot dead after just a few days due to the death sentence of a military court.
[If you want the latest news from Berlin, Germany and the world live on your cell phone, we recommend our app, which you can download here for Apple and Android devices.]
Lechtermann said it was practically impossible to explain and would blow up the case. Another case concerned a child in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, which apparently had come to Thuringia for unclear reasons to its mother – a forced laborer.
The 101-year-old is accused of having aided and abetted the murder of at least 3,518 prisoners as a guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp from 1942 to 1945. The public prosecutor’s office relies on documents relating to an SS guard with the man’s name, date of birth and place of birth.