This is where scheduled flights to London used to take off, later we West Berlin children waved politely to the Queen: Greetings from Berlin-Gatow Airport! Because Tegel is tight and BER is outside the city limits, it’s Berlin’s, well, last airport – at least for two days.
At the weekend there is an airport festival again with landing machines and the usual hustle and bustle. The festival was canceled for two years due to Corona (usually attracts over 20,000 people), now it is returning at the weekend: the opening is on Saturday, September 3, 12 p.m., by the head of the Air Force Museum, Ralf-Gunther Leonhardt.
The first vintage cars will land on Friday, and the last planes will take off again on Sunday afternoon. The airport of the British Allies has actually not been in operation since 1995 (and for some years now has not belonged to Gatow, but completely to Kladow).
Today, at most, aircraft and helicopters of the German Armed Forces land on the old runway stubs when special units train tricky manoeuvres: here is my Tagesspiegel story.
DLRG, THW, dog squadron of the DRK and many others also come to the festival on Saturday and Sunday. September 3rd and 4th, 10am-6pm, free admission. Info: mhm-gatow.de/flugplatzfest. The museum is visited by around 70,000 people every year and is easy to reach: for example, by express bus X34 via Heerstraße or by bus 135 from the regional train station in Spandau. It is a 10 minute walk from the bus stop.
[Already almost 270,000 subscriptions: The Tagesspiegel district newsletter is now easily available here – compact and bundled and once a week free of charge at tagesspiegel.de/bezirke]
Here are the topics that you will find in the current issue of the Spandau newsletter from the Tagesspiegel.
– Finally more help for the water police and explains the costs and purpose of the new jet skis on the Havel. In any case, for years, newsletter readers had complained about noise and reckless frenzy on the Havel, now action should be taken. Because neighborhood, local recreation and last but not least water sports disturb behavior on the water.
– City council about new leisure homes, daycare worries, entertainers and drunk and young people at Lake Glienicke
– Kladow gets new weekly market – only when? Opening this weekend has been cancelled. Interview about the reasons and looking ahead to 2023
– Scharfe Lanke: The opening date of the popular park has been set
– Siemensstadt gets a new BVG express bus line
– Senate announces new road bridge to Westend
– Indoor season in swimming pools starts
– HBO, BBO, HCO and Brandwerder: News from Spandau’s schools
– Warming rooms and cooling centers in Spandau’s churches?
– The first Christmas trees are delivered in Spandau
– Laying of a stumbling block on the market square
– Perfect view of Spandau: Visit to the Grunewald Tower
– VfV Spandau plays in the German Handball Cup and wins e-sportsmen for HandofBlood as a sponsor
– Anniversary: 20 years Motoryachtclub Prussia
– Important for all water sports enthusiasts: the sports boat service is fixed
– American Football: Spandau Bulldogs are playing for promotion to the second division
– Late summer with many events: Wine Summer, Pyronale, Gatow Airfield Festival…
We send you the Spandau newsletter with exclusive news, neighborhood ideas, debates, lots of links, dates and personal tips once a week. In it I also introduce you to people who not only whine and scold, but also want to improve things in their neighborhood and get involved. Feel free to try us out! I look forward to meeting you.