Million investor Lars Windhorst has rejected the serious allegations by ex-President Werner Gegenbauer. The financier of Hertha BSC wants to avoid an open escalation of the conflict shortly before the groundbreaking general meeting of the Berlin Bundesliga club this Sunday (11 a.m.).
“We see with respect that Werner Gegenbauer has paved the way for a fresh start. The very personal, baseless attacks against Lars Windhorst have nothing to do with a fresh start. But kicking is not our style, ”said Windhorst’s spokesman, Andreas Fritzenkötter, on Wednesday of the German Press Agency.
Gegenbauer had continued the argument with Windhorst a few hours after his resignation on Tuesday. In interviews with the “Bild” newspaper and the “Tagesspiegel” he massively criticized the investor, who called for his vote in March.
“In the past few weeks, in the middle of the relegation battle, he has set the club on fire. Windhorst is responsible for a split that has unsettled the club and all departments,” said Gegenbauer. Windhorst also wrongly accused him of cheating and mismanagement and endangered Hertha’s professional operations with late payments.
Windhorst had called for Gegenbauer to be replaced and accused him of having burned the investments of around 375 million euros. Against Gegenbauer there were several applications for deselection for Sunday, which, however, had been submitted by members other than Windhorst. The longtime Hertha boss may have preempted his deselection by resigning.