After the allegedly foiled bomb attack on a school in Essen, a judge sent the suspected 16-year-old student into custody. The requested arrest warrant had been issued, said the public prosecutor’s office in Düsseldorf on Friday on request. The young German is accused, among other things, of having prepared a serious act of violence that endangers the state.
The police had come across right-wing extremist writings and materials on bomb-making from the high school student. Explosives and 16 tubular bodies, some prepared with clocks and nails, were secured, as well as a home-made rifle and a crossbow with arrows.
The arrest warrant was also requested for violating the Weapons and Explosives Act and for preparing an explosives blast, it said on Friday. A tipster had alerted the authorities: the 16-year-old had told him he wanted to place a bomb in his school.
The student’s current and former schools were then searched with explosives detection dogs. No suspicious items were found. The measures have now been completed. The youngster’s current school, the Don Bosco Gymnasium in Essen-Borbeck, remained closed on Friday.